Mission Statement of YAP

The mission statement of Youth Advocate Programs is: "Our mission is to provide individuals who are, have been or may be subject to compulsory care with the opportunity to develop, contribute and be valued as assets so that communities have safe, proven effective and economical alternatives to institutional placement."
The first time I read this mission statement, I did think it was a mouthful.  It took me a few reads in order to wrap my mind around what they were saying their mission is.  I had already known what the purpose of YAP was, but in my opinion, if someone with no knowledge of this organization read this statement-they would probably be a little confused.  Often times "compulsory care" is associated with intellectual disabilities, however every child or teen being served there aren't necessarily "individuals who are, have been or may be subject to compulsory care." However, this is not always the case.  Most children and teens who come to YAP do not have intellectual disabilities, but instead they all have the common ground of being a part of the system.  Each of them have been faced with social and economical issues, so much to the point where they are now with DCYF. 

I am not sure how I would necessarily rephrase the mission statement in a professional way, but in order to understand it better I would restate it simply.  "Our mission is to provide individuals who have been or may be subject to unfortunate economical or social situations with new opportunities.  Through work with our family advocates and support from DCYF, individuals will be valued, find safety within their communities, and provided with alternatives to institutional placement."  I still feel as though this is a mouthful, but I think a new comers would have a better idea of what YAP does.  The fact that we have family advocates is a HUGE part of the work we do and I think it should be highlighted in the mission in someway.  Also the fact that we are a wrap around service through DCYF is a big component and really determines how everything runs. 

Comments

Popular Posts